Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Many of you know of my love for YA fiction. After reading this year's Newberry Winner, "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman (which I should also blog about!), I put one of the runner-ups on my hold list at the library. 76 readers later, I found The Hunger Games waiting for me at my local branch. It was well worth the wait.

This is a science fiction story about a 13-year old girl living in a futuristic version of America. A new government has risen up and the territory is divided into districts. In the past, the districts rose up against the central authority and were put down in a brutal way. District 13 was destroyed. In order to keep the citizenry in line, the government likes to remind people of what will happen if they try to revolt again. Hence, the Hunger Games.

Every year, two teenagers from each district, a boy and a girl, are chosen by lottery to participate in the Games. It is a televised fight to the death with only one victor remaining. Katniss, the main character, volunteers in her little sister's place when her name is drawn. She goes to the games along with a young man from her district. Their struggles in the arena make for a fast-paced read.

In spite of the dark premise, this is ultimately a story about trust, love, and hope. Katniss struggles to survive and you're never sure where her allegiances lie. You also question the motives of the other main characters which makes for a complex story and a very satisfying one. I don't want to give too much away, but will mention that the follow-up, "Mockingjay" is as rewarding as "The Hunger Games." I was wary, wondering where the author could go with the story. I was pleasantly surprised and captivated.

Honestly, Dad is probably the only person who would truly enjoy this story as it is brutal and of the science-fiction slant. But Dad, give it a shot. It's YA, but you may enjoy it. One of the best I've read in quite a while!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked this one better than Leviathan and will put the next installment on order with the library tomorrow. You can see a whole series coming out of this story, since there are probably rebels who were part of the kid's team during the games and the upcoming tour is likely to open up a lot of opportunities and dangers. I'm looking forward to it.

Debbie said...

Wow - I had forgotten about the book blog but got a message from Google on it. Anyhow, I haven't read this but it's hot in 5th grade, and both Ben and Ros really liked it.